[xquery-talk] what XQuery COULD have done for the world...

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Wed May 20 11:27:20 PDT 2015

… if a bunch of standards people would have had some vision and some global understanding of technology:

They could have helped those NoSQL “innocents” who will try for the next 15 years to use SQL for schema-free data,
and waste billions of dollars in the process, and slow down considerably the advancement of database technology.

See today (bellow) another one of those schema-free SQL languages.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/industrys-first-schema-free-sql-engine-apache-drill-paul-tarantino

I think I see at this point one of those “SQL for NoSQL” every 2-3 days. Each equally pathetic.

Including the ones from more serious NoSQL companies, like Cassandra (DataStax):
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/cql/CQL.html

If you look at the semantics (or lackthereof ) of their “SQL” language, and after 16 years of designing XQuery, it’s SAD…..

XQuery COULD have helped.

But it didn’t.

Oh well, thanks again those without any long term vision in the XQuery WG — but hey, they had POWER !

Dana