[xquery-talk] [xml-dev] MarkLogic using JSONiq for processing JSON ?

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Wed May 20 13:20:49 PDT 2015

> Ok this is anecdotal and on a somewhat different tack but a couple of months ago I took the Marklogic Developer course.  One of the few things I retained from the course was the realisation that the instructor had no idea what was in the XQuery specifiation (1.0 or 3.0) and in what way they differed from the Marklogic variant.

Ihe,

what I find not only pathetic, but totally reprehensible, in MarkLogic’s way of conducting business is:

(1) they don’t tell their customers that all the technology they use is based on an industrial standard in which
about 15 (years) times 20-30 (people = 3000-4500 man/year were invested by various companies : XQuery.

The advantages (flexibility, integration, blah, blah) that MarkLogic sells to its customers come mostly from the design of XQuery, not from anywhere else.

Yet, most customers never heard of XQuery. I talked to many of them. Users of XQuery for XXX years, yet they never heard of XQuery from
MarkLogic….

That’s very reprehensible business behavior: it’s called lack of scientific and intellectual irresponsibility.  And it’s done ON PURPOSE.

( Even worse, I think even their own salesforce has no clue about XQuery…..)

(2) just look at the www.marklogic.com <http://www.marklogic.com/>

The first who spots the word “XQuery” somewhere, gets a special cookie from me :-)

I wasn’t able to find it….

How would the users be able to figure that MarkLogic didn’t invent ANY that !? You take them wining, dining and golfing, and … here you go.

(3) look at MarkLogic’s CEO, Gary Bloom, explaining to it’s customers about the “beauty” of MarkLogic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgBDSzak6jQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgBDSzak6jQ>

Gary, no kidding man, you realized (finally!) that XQuery is used for data heterogeneous, schema-less data processing, for data integration and such…..!!!!!

WOW. I am impressed.

You finally got what the main design goal of XQuery WAS ….. It’s only 20 years TOO late :-)

Sorry, Gary, the fact that you spent your life in Oracle doesn’t excuse your ignorance in managing heterogeneous data.

Gary Bloom, when you say “WE have a solution”   …. you mean  ****** “XQuery community has a solution”**********

Bring up some intellectual honesty, Gary, and stop bullshitting your customers.

Dana