[xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the design of XQuery 3.1

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Thu May 28 13:17:04 PDT 2015

> XQuery was baptized XQuery around 2001, when no JSON was around (yet)….
>

> No  Java was ……

Java had at that time it’s own query language, actually made by some people originally involved with XQuery.
https://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/tutorial/doc/bnbtg.html

> True that JSON was created later in the same year 2001, however  it did not become widely popular
> about until much later.
>

> ....but Java was already very very popular.
>
> Now supposing an individual had cobbled together a language in 10 days that was so crap that it's leading protagonist actually had to write a book highlighting it's good parts. Read the first paragraph here.
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/A_Short_History_of_JavaScript <https://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/A_Short_History_of_JavaScript>
>
> Imagine if they left the name as LiveScript or ECMAScript and note in the last sentence of paragraph 1 why they didn’t.

That’s funny and interesting from a historical point of view.

But that’s water under the bridge.

The question for me is what could XQuery — and all the hard years of heavy experience that we all acquired in querying and processing, indexing, etc for schema-less data  during 18 years — bring to the world of NoSQL query languages, which, today, is pretty pathetic.

Best regards
Dana