[xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the design of XQuery 3.1

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Thu May 28 14:43:01 PDT 2015

> It proves that when it comes to IT you can put lipstick on a pig. If you were trying to name the language today JShit would probably market test better than XQuery.

That’s why I’m so tired of the database “science” and the database “scientific” community, and I run away to 3D and Augmented reality — which is at the beginning,
nobody makes billions (yet) and there is still some love of technology, some honesty and integrity, and deep, serious enthusiasm.  There is still some innocence...

Right now the “database market” is just lipstick on a (VERY LARGE) pig. Lots of money spent on marketing scream, and unfortunately developers flock like sheep
 towards the ones who scream the most, without any clue of “why”.

Yet we have no clue why a solution is better then other, no benchmarks, just hacky solutions, or temporary solutions which will disappear in 5-10 years, etc.

> Maybe it's because of your abhorrence of stupidity you tend not to stick around long enough to witness just how stupid some people are.

Well, I am VERY patient when I want to.... I did stay with the XML community since 1997, despite my deep dislike for processing instructions... :-)

But I see my role as an engineer to build good engineering solutions, not to increase the IQ of the general population. That’s not my job.

Best regards
Dana