[xquery-talk] asterixdb

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Sat Oct 10 03:03:35 PDT 2015

Andy,

The story is more complicated here.

The professor at Irvine Univ. in charge of the students team who designed AsterixDB, Mike Carey, is
today the Chief Architect of CouchDB, who ships the N1QL that I just sent yesterday.

Mike Carey knows exactly XQuery, given that he was in charge of my XQuery processor at BEA Systems after I left.

So it’s definitely not by lack of knowledge that he went BACKWARDS and N1QL is even more primitive then SQL 92
(just added some primitive forms of path expressions to it..)

It’s probably market pressure….

IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE SQL, AND IT HAS TO USE THE THREE MAGIC KEYWORDS “select” “from” AND “where”.

Other then that, who cares that from a data processing perspective, we go backwards where we were in 1994 !???
(and nested select-from-where in the from clause are considered “disruptive” ..huh..)

Depressing.

Are users so ignorant and they prefer a vanilla syntax that they know over significant expressive power  ?

 I wonder.

Dana