[xquery-talk] asterixdb

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Sat Oct 10 04:48:38 PDT 2015

No, Pavel, by no means, NO.

While N1Ql is finally something relatively well defined, and MUCH better then the alternatives,
in terms of expressive power, we go back to 1993.

N1QL is 99% a copy of OQL designed by Sophie Cluet in 1993 for object-oriented databases, which had
nested objects and arrays, and

After you got used to program in XQuery, going back to N1QL is going back to the cave age.

I personally won’t, and I would rather go did cow’s dung (time to review the classics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs> :-)

Here are a couple of things (random things that come to my mind in 3 seconds…..):

1. Compositionality. It’s 2015 , not 1977, for God’s sake.

2. Casts, explicit and implicit casts. Absolutely necessary for processing data of unknown structure.

3. If-then-elses.  Absolutely necessary for processing data of unknown structure.

4. try-catch.  Absolutely necessary for processing data of unknown structure.

5. Object and array constructors with dynamically computed content.  It's 2015, not 1977 for God’s sake.

5. Functions and especially recursive functions. Absolutely necessary for processing data of unknown structure.

6. Declarative updates. No comment.

7. Full text. Again, it 2015, not 1977 for God’s sake.

=========

N1Ql is a cute little thing that brings us back in 1993…..:(

depressed.

Wake me up when it’s done.

Dana