[xquery-talk] :=

Joe Wicentowski joewiz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 15:59:23 PST 2016

Hi all,

I could've sworn that ":=" had a name like "binding operator," but as far as I can see from the XPath or XQuery specs, it gives no name or description to this symbol other than appearances in EBNFs for LetBinding, GroupingSpec, VarDecl, and ContextItemDecl -- as a literal ":=".

Does ":=" really have no name or plain English description in the spec?

If so, this is surprising given its prominence in the let clause.  Having one would certainly be very useful when teaching the language.

Thanks,
Joe