[xquery-talk] :=

Ghislain Fourny ghislain.fourny at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:24:04 PST 2016

Hi Joe,

Syntactically, ":=" is not an operator because it does not produce an
output sequence of items like "+" or "and" or "/". It is part of let and
group-by clauses (which produce tuples) as well as variable and context
item declarations (which contribute to the dynamic context).

>From a pedagogical perspective, I would simply call it a variable binding,
the important part being not to call it "assignment" to make clear that it
is a functional and declarative language.

I hope these 2 cents help!

Kind regards,
Ghislain