[xquery-talk] :=

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Mon Nov 21 10:02:38 PST 2016

Actually most of the symbols in the language don't have names. For example "+" doesn't have a name. The */?/+ symbols that can follow an ItemType are collectively referred to as OccurrenceIndicators, but they don't have individual names. Most of the time we talk about symbols, we refer to them by the names of the characters that are used to spell them. The dollar sign that prefixes a variable name is just a dollar sign, so I guess that ":=" is just "colon-equals".

When you're writing tutorials, documentation, etc, it's always a tough call whether to stick rigidly to the terminology of the spec or to introduce terms of your own. I'll go either way depending on the merits of the case. Usually I try to stick to standard terminology but if the terminology in the spec is really bad then I'll introduce something new (for example I reckoned that no-one except the most avid spec-readers would know what an error message referring to a "transform expression" was talking about, so I called it a "copy-modify expression" instead).

Personally I find the distinction between assignment and binding rather precious. After all, we use the terms "variable" and "function" in both procedural and functional language to mean somewhat different things, and no-one minds. When I come to a new language, I find it easier if most of the terminology is familiar, even if the properties of the objects or operations that the terms refer to are a bit different.

Michael Kay
Saxonica