[xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Re: using FLWOR expressions (aka SQL..) directly in Python

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Fri Oct 21 13:01:25 PDT 2016

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 11:49 AM, daniela florescu <dflorescu at me.com> wrote:
>

>> My 2 cents would have been to release and not mention anything about XQuery or JSONiq

Ihe, a more serious answer to your comment above.

XQuery was designed and adapted to query XML (together with XML Schema and the rest of the XML world, etc, etc)

JSONiq was designed to query JSON, and only JSON.

======

Unlike them,  PythonQL is not attached to any particular data model or data format. I can query anything that can be
represented in the Python structures, e.g. tables, XML, JSON.  It’s not data model specific.

What those three languages have in common is the use of the semantics of the FLWOR expression (not the syntax!).

The FLWOR expression is a general purpose data comprehension programing paradigm, not related to any data model or
data format.

 SELECT-FROM-WHERE in SQL is just a simpler case of FLWOR expression.

Best regards
Dana