[xquery-talk] SQL to XML with XQuery?

xquery at docbook-autor.de xquery at docbook-autor.de
Wed Aug 9 23:07:55 PDT 2017

 Hi,

I know that XQuery is typically used for transforming XML into other
text file formats.

But is it possible to use XQuery for the other way round?

I want to transform a very simple SQL Create Table statement into XML.

SQL
===

CREATE TABLE mytable1

(
  FIELD1	xxx;
  FIELD2	xxx;
  FIELD3	xxx;
);

COMMENT ON COLUMN mytable1.FIELD1 'Description1';
COMMENT ON COLUMN mytable1.FIELD2 'Description2';

CREATE TABLE mytable2

(
  FIELD1	xxx;
  FIELD2	xxx;
  FIELD3	xxx;
);

COMMENT ON COLUMN mytable2.FIELD1 'Description1';
COMMENT ON COLUMN mytable2.FIELD3 'Description3';

XML
===

  <title>mytable1</title>
  <column>
    <name>FIELD1</name>
    <comment>Description1</comment>
  </column>
  <column>
    <name>FIELD2</name>
    <comment>Description2</comment>
  </column>
  <column>
    <name>FIELD1</name>
    <comment></comment>
  </column>

  <title>mytable2</title>
  <column>
    <name>FIELD1</name>
    <comment>Description1</comment>
  </column>
  <column>
    <name>FIELD2</name>
    <comment></comment>
  </column>
  <column>
    <name>FIELD1</name>
    <comment>Description3</comment>
  </column>

Can this be done via XQuery? If not which tool could possibly fit my needs?

Best regards
Michael