[xquery-talk] From map entry pairs to a pair of arrays

Ghislain Fourny gfourny at inf.ethz.ch
Sun Jul 16 23:31:17 PDT 2017

Hi,

My first (naive) thought reading this thread is that, from a theoretical complexity perspective -- unless I missed something -- the first version in the original message was already asymptotically optimal (linear). The time it takes to compute an output always has, as a lower bound, the time it takes to output it ("print it out"), and the output is made of two "passes of the input". The improvements suggested should change the constant, but asymptotically on larger inputs, I do not expect a significant difference.

Having said this, of course, in practice, the constant may make a big difference.

Just my two cents!

Kind regards,
Ghislain