[xquery-talk] Adaptive serialization and indendation

Liam R. E. Quin liam at w3.org
Tue May 30 13:21:10 PDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-05-30 at 15:18 -0400, Joe Wicentowski wrote:
> Hi Liam,
>
> Many thanks for this helpful response about the "spirit" of the spec
> here.
> I have one last question - do you have a sense why section 10.1.4
> makes
> this statement?
>
> > The indent and suppress-indentation parameters are not directly
>
> applicable to the Adaptive output method. [1]

it's saying that if the implementation delegates to another
serialization method for part or all of the output, the indent and
suppress-indentation parameters are to be passed on to that method.

> (What throws me off a bit here, of course, is that Adaptive is the
> only
> output method that serializes maps *as* maps, so there isn't anywhere
> else
> to look for direct guidance on indentation of maps.)

In principle doesn't JSON do that too? Which is why I think delegating
map serialization to the JSON method might make sense.

If you do plan to file an issue against the spec, do it soon - I think
the XQuery Working Group might only have two or three more meetings
before it closes. XSLT will be going perhaps a little longer but is
focused on XSLT 3.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam at w3.org>