[xquery-talk] Are you getting much spam on this list, too?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Tue May 1 13:49:48 PDT 2018

When you send mail to an address that no longer exists, the remote server typically sends back some kind of "bounce" message saying the mail is undeliverable. The software that manages a mailing list typically attempts to filter these bounce messages so that (a) they aren't sent to all members of the list, and (b) they eventually result in the offending address being automatically unsubscribed.

Like many mailing lists, this one seems to be managed using mailman which certainly has such functionality. But it doesn't seem to be doing a particularly good job of it. Perhaps it's running on an old version, or hasn't been very well configured. But these are not spam messages, they are bounce messages that the mailing list software is failing to hide from you.

Michael Kay
Saxonica