[xquery-talk] Castable as with maps/arrays

Ghislain Fourny gfourny at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 10 02:33:46 PST 2020

Dear all,

I would like to check something on XQuery 3.1 and in particular the behavior of maps/arrays with "castable as" given the way they can and cannot be atomized.

Do you agree that

  array { 1, 2 } castable as xs:integer

and

  map {} castable as xs:integer

should both return false?

My first thought was to see what Saxon (I used 9.9.1.7) says (in oXygen) but the first query returns true in spite of

  array { 1, 2 } cast as xs:integer

throwing an error (as expected)

and the second query returns a null pointer exception (in all likelihood, this one is undesired).

Thanks a lot for confirming whether my understanding of the spec is correct!

Thanks and kind regards,
Ghislain