[xquery-talk] XML prologue

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Tue Jul 26 01:08:35 PDT 2005

> Both make sense to me. Thank you Michael. I'm wondering if
> there is a
> built-in function that would strip the xml prologue from a String so
> I could use something like this:
>
> let $b := '<?xml version="1.0"?><name>frank</name>'
> return doc-strip-prologue($b)/name

You've got a string here: stripping characters off the start of the string
isn't going to give you a tree that you can use path expressions on. To get
a tree from a string containing lexical XML you need an XML parser.

Saxon has an extension function saxon:parse() which allows you to do this
operation. It's more usual, however, for the lexical XML to be in an
external resource that's accessed using the doc() function.