[xquery-talk] SQL Server 2005

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Sat Jan 21 23:46:38 PST 2006

Frank Cohen wrote:

>  I'm
> working on a performance and scalability study that among other  things
> compares performance of native XML DB tools to relational  tools that
> will back up a critique.

I'm curious about the data set you'll use for this.

As a general rule, it seems that the use cases for XML-enabled databases
and native XML databases are separate. In particular, the general rule
of thumb is that, if the data easily maps to the relational model, then
do that. If it doesn't, start thinking about using the XML data model
directly.

And yes, I know that a lot of real-world cases mix relational and XML
data, but even that still fits the above rule -- shred into the
relational model until you hit something that doesn't fit (like a prose
description of a part) and then store that as XML. This assumes that
document-centric data is embedded in an otherwise data-centric document,
but that situation seems far more common than the reverse.

-- Ron