[xquery-talk] SQL Server 2005

Frank Cohen fcohen at rainingdata.com
Sat Jan 21 19:35:02 PST 2006

Hi Michael:

> Since I don't like to register to just comment on a blog, here is a
> quick comment:

Thanks for the feedback. I changed the XQueryNow.com site to allow
anonymous comments.

> Your comment about that FOR XML is not good to manage XML data is
> correct, but also off the point: that's not its purpose...
>
> FOR XML is not meant to be used for managing XML data. It is meant to
> provide an effective and simple way to transform relational data into
> XML form.
>
> The XML data type and XQuery and XML-DML are meant for managing XML
> data
> that is not relational in nature.

Good point and I agree with you about the purpose of the XML field
type, XQuery and FOR XML commands being there to support XML in a
relational model. I'll post this as a comment to the blog entry for
other readers.

> You better look at the XML data type and the (at the moment only
> subset)
> support of XQuery. Critique in that area would be much more
> appropriate
> for this list and more useful.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm happy to offer a critique of using XML
in a relational model and will post a critique to this list. I'm
working on a performance and scalability study that among other
things compares performance of native XML DB tools to relational
tools that will back up a critique.

-Frank