[xquery-talk] Global variables in XQuery

Martin Probst martin at x-hive.com
Wed Oct 4 18:49:47 PDT 2006

Hi,

> In paricular, I am not able to modify the value of a global
> variable inside a user-defined function. Here is an example:

It is not possible to modify the value of a previously defined
variable in XQuery, ever.

Somehow it was decided, that it's legal to define another variable
with the same name as the original. This is what you do, the variable
within your function is totally distinct from the global variable, it
just happens to have the same name. Additionally, you always declare
a new variable in the function body within the loop, which also has
the same name. With each iteration of the loop, the variable goes out
of scope again.

(maybe this list should get a FAQ? Or maybe someone should write this
in bold letters into the preamble of the spec?).

Martin