[xquery-talk] Finding context position when "order by" is in aFLWOR?

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sat Sep 9 00:30:19 PDT 2006

> well there's
>
>   (let $list := ( 'cat', 'dog', 'apple')
>            for $word at $pos in $list
>            order by $word
>            return <word>{$word}</word>)/
>            <word  n="{position()}">{text()}</word>
>
> which does use postion() but I don't think it's any clearer really.

Also, I don't think there's any guarantee that the resulting words will be
in the order 1,2,3 with this expression. The result of the "/" operator has
to be sorted into document order, and the relative document order of the
three constructed <word> elements, which are in different trees, is
implementation-dependent (i.e. undefined).