[xquery-talk] Re: The State of Native XML databases

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Aug 21 08:29:43 PDT 2007

John Snelson wrote:

> I think a strong argument could be made that a criteria for being a well
> designed XML document is the ability to tell an element's type from it's
> name - or at least from the path to it. This is why I said XML /could
> be/ self describing.

I think a stronger argument can be made that the name is the type, and
even better that the type is merely a projection of the application's
type system onto the document. That is, an XML document has no
fundamental types, and this is a feature, not a bug. Different
applications may profitably choose to read the same XML document using
different types. The document itself is neutral and should remain this way.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!