XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Fri Apr 25 16:41:16 PDT 2008

Jason Hunter wrote:
> http://xqzone.marklogic.com/pubs/3.2/apidocs/All.html
>
> FWIW, it seems messy and unnecessary to me to change the language in
> any significant way to support these things.  I prefer the Java
> approach. Simple language, complex libraries.  Empirically you can,
> for example, do fast text search through library calls.  So let's do
> that.

Do you guys augment XQuery with a lot of non-standard functions?   I can
see why people do (even if you don't) but it's a trend I'd like to try
to resist and suggest others resist, for obvious reasons.

One alternative is to add just one capability: the ability to call out
to other (possibly "closely connected") net services in a uniform way.
That way you can substitute implementations of the extra functionality
independently of substituting implementations of XQuery.

-t