XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Sat Apr 26 09:41:41 PDT 2008

Well...ok....what about something like a non proprietary LINQ done
properly?

It would still suffer 'the impossible to optimize'  issue but at least
it would open up the libraries of the programming environment you are
working with pretty seamlessly, would integrate nicely with the
programming environments a lot of people care about today, and I am
guessing that the actual query part that goes out to the indexed data
store can be optimized. I understand it might not be easy to
'identify' that part of the query ...perhaps that is what you mean
with 'impossible'?

Personally I am really trying hard to use XQuery in my day to day
development activities (I do like the language a lot) and the only
thing I can conclude from my daily experience is that for most things
at hand it introduces as much issues as it solves.

That means
(1) I am not using it properly and/or
(2) the language is still missing features and/or
(3) it is not the right tool for my job.

Show us normal mortals writing the less fancy apps of the web (and I
tend to think that is were your eventual main stream adoption of the
language will have to come from, as there are a lot of us) how to use
XQuery.

I think I am entitled to claim I know the language good enough...but I
just can't figure out how to put it to use.

Peter