[xquery-talk] [ANN] Candle 0.10 Beta Release - a new scripting language for XML and more

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Wed Nov 23 04:54:43 PST 2011

I'm definitely for more XML scripting languages, its a great thing.   But as
the author of xmlsh I'd like to clarify a misconception
--- quote
" xmlsh primarily concerns with converting the input and output of the shell
commands into XML"
---

This is a misconception.   The primary goal and functionality of xmlsh is to
provide *efficient* native XML processing within a (possibly) familiar
scripting syntax.
There happen to be a few "shell commands" implemented which input or output
XML,  that's a mere sidelight.    External shell commands are not converted
to XML at all.
The main goal is to provide a scripting language where in the past
everything was text (variables, pipes, expressions) but is now fully XML
enabled, but equally with text.
 Variables are stored as XDM values, Expressions support full XQuery syntax,
piping is in-process (threaded) and supports text equally as well as XML.

But to repeat my first statement.    The more good scripting languages for
XML processing the better, IMHO, because it gives more people exposure to
XML.
And being a self-proclaimed "XML Advocate" that's a good thing by definition
:)

Some say too many languages is a bad thing ... but when a technology is
under-utilized  I believe a plethora of languages is good thing.

So good going !!!!

David A. Lee
dlee at calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org