[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Oct 12 12:16:36 PDT 2011

> But the problem with XML Prague is that it doesn't have (yet) the
> academic
> "cloud". Students don't get PhDs because they published there, and
> professors don't get
> tenure. (whether the world is well organized and why doesn't happen is
> a completely
> different topic -- but that's the reality).

Most academic work is funded by the taxpayer. We don't fund it so that
academics can earn themselves brownie points and advance their careers,
we fund it so that society can benefit from the work. Academics who
pursue the agenda of increasing their citation counts, rather than
getting their work into practical use, are (a) stealing the taxpayer's
money, and (b) digging themselves into a career hole where the only work
they are capable of doing is academic research.

So please don't ask me to advise anyone who wants to pursue this agenda.

One of the great things about the XML field is that academics, product
developers, and users all talk to each other and attend the same
conferences. (That's noticeably different from the database field - how
many users do you see at VLDB?) Let's keep it that way.

Michael Kay
Saxonica