[xquery-talk] JSON query processing

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 15 02:50:47 PDT 2011

> I will say it. I think JSON is a nice syntax and can be more compact and
> readable than XML.

I disagree on the readable part!

For example, if you have a large amount or JSON and a large amount of
XML and neither have been formatted, in the worst case all your JSON
or XML its all on one like, this is still the same valid JSON or XML.
However if you start trying to read through this without either
manually paginating or putting it through a formatting tool, I would
argue that it is easier to keep track of context when reading the XML
as a human, because the closing tags have the name repeated in them,
whereas JSON does not.

This is a fundamental difference in purpose, XML is designed to be
Human Readable, on the other hand JSON is as the name tells you is a
notation for JavaScript objects and is designed to be easily parsed.

> Last I looked (which was a while ago), they did not have
> any standard means of specification (like XSD), so that needs to be fixed.

Why, you dont need schemata in JavaScript for you object notation, the
JSON itself is both the definition of the shape and the shape itself
(content).

Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter
tweet: adamretter