[xquery-talk] Need for schemas Re: JSON query processing

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Sat Oct 15 11:28:04 PDT 2011

On Oct 15, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 10:34 -0700, Daniela Florescu wrote:
>
>> Both RDF and JSON suffer from the fact that there is no general and
>> standard way to describe metadata in a contract
>> -- and that's why they'll probably NOT be used in places where a
>> contract between the communicating parties is needed:
>> e.g. financials, healthcare, military.
>
> healthcare and life sciences are using RDF; OWL and RIF are the
> mechanisms here I think.

Maybe internally (internally, I bet every company uses probably all
the models
in the book...)

But when they communicate between companies (hospitals, insurances,
etc), I doubt that they do it RDF. Not in my experience at least.

XML is still the way to go -- you need a (complete) standard,
otherwise you get a law suit
if something gets wrong.

But it's probably a matter of time, until JSON&co get their act
together and start
standardizing stuff too.

The question is what will they standardize, and how ?

Best
Dana