[xquery-talk] and what I think we should tackle right now

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Mon May 20 17:33:53 PDT 2013

1. I think this community should take JSON very seriously, because it's here to stay.

The way that maps are designed in XQuery is a failed attempt to solve that problem, that kind of
solves the JSON problem, but not really.

It's more likely to annoy the JSON people then attract them to what we have.

On xml-dev there was a long discussion about this and someone said this very intelligent thing:
"the Web ignored XML because XML ignored the Web".

I don't remember who, but this was brilliant.
The world will AGAIN ignore XML if XML CONTINUES to ignore the realities of the web.

2. I think XQuery is a great beginning, not a great end.

>From XQuery to a general solution for information management, there is stuff to do. Rules, workflow, side-effects,
tools, integration with machine learning and NLP, etc, etc, etc.

If we are so content with XQuery as it is and we see it as an end result in itself, then we are about to miss a big bunch.

My 5 cents.
Dana