[xquery-talk] and what I think we should tackle right now

Loren Cahlander loren.cahlander at gmail.com
Tue May 21 06:48:11 PDT 2013

Comment inline.

Sent from my iPad

On May 21, 2013, at 9:14 AM, Adam Retter <adam.retter at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Personally I think that XQuery can have support for consuming and
> producing JSON, but do I want to work with JSON inside XQuery - not
> really. I do a LOT of work with both JSON and XML, for JSON work I
> tend to use JavaScript and for XML I tend to use XQuery/XSLT.
>
> Should there be one language to do both, perhaps. Is it XQuery, I dont
> think so. However, it could be a new language which is a superset of
> XQuery and takes many of the concepts from XQuery (maybe that is
> JSONiq and maybe it is not). My point though is that the X in XQuery
> stands for XML, I like XQuery and I do not think we need to reinvent
> it, it does what it was designed for. I am not opposed to creating a
> new language though, and if it allows me to do what I already do in
> XQuery and also do a bunch of stuff which I normally do with
> JavaScript *and* it is standardised and widely adopted then sure I
> will move to it.
>
> I guess I am saying, XQuery does not have to last for ever or even
> reinvent itself, but whilst it is the right tool for the right job
> (that I am doing) then I will continue to use it.
>
> So, perhaps Daniela we should stop trying to change XQuery and instead
> invent DQuery? Where the D is for Document (in the abstract sense).

I fully agree with this statement!  Different languages have their strengths and weaknesses.  Do not try to make a pliers into a screwdriver.  Find a screwdriver to drive in screws.

If XQuery does not meet your needs, then either propose changes that do not change to focus of XQuery or find/invent a language that meets your needs.