[xquery-talk] arrow operator

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Thu Aug 3 14:01:21 PDT 2017

> Anonymous functions would've been quite nice, but could your example only be used for a single argument?

Yes. I think that's such a common case that it's worth having special syntax for, particularly as we already have "." as a symbol representing an anonymous variable, so we get a nice combination of concepts.

(We do of course have syntax for the more general case already: it's just a bit verbose.)

But of course, in the WG we would spend months discussing alternatives and might well come up with something better...

Michael Kay
Saxonica