[xquery-talk] SQL Server 2005

Michael Rys mrys at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 21 20:18:56 PST 2006

While I agree that the XQuery expression below looks nice for people
that know XQuery, I don't think Peter posted a select statement that was
not using FOR XML below. However most users are still more versant with
the SQL semantics.

And btw, Peter: the reason why we implemented FOR XML PATH instead of
the SQL/XML publishing functions are:

1. We shipped the FOR XML technology before the standardization process
even started. Given our number of users, we cannot just abandon them.
2. We feel that the FOR XML PATH aggregator is much more concise to
author and maintain that the SQL/XML publishing functions for most cases
(and even I never remember where to put the XMLAGGs and XMLFORESTs).
3. We offered FOR XML for standardization, but our dear competitors for
some reasons (hmmmm...) did not want to accept it.
4. We have received little to no customer requests for the XML
publishing functions so far.

If we indeed get more requests from customers and have the necessary
resources, we certainly will look into the standard functions as well.
But until then, I better use our resources to improve the native XML
processing with the XML data type and XQuery....

Best regards
Michael