[xquery-talk] SQL Server 2005

Frank Cohen fcohen at rainingdata.com
Sun Jan 22 10:37:15 PST 2006

I agree with you that real customer value for performance testing
happens when the customer tests in their own environment. (Mini-pitch
coming next.) That's why PushToTest publishes performance kits to run
the tests in the customer environment.

Here are three use cases that we're using to evaluate XQuery against
Java/JDBC/relational-db approaches:
XML Binding Compiler Scenario (code-name: The TV Dinner)

In the TV Dinner scenario a developer needs to code a parts ordering
service. The service uses Software Technology in Automative Retailing
(STAR) Business Object Document (BOD) schemas. On the consumer side
the test code instantiates a previously serialized Get Purchase Order
(GPO) request document. The test code then adds a predetermined
number of part elements to the part to be ordered. On the service
side, the service examines only specific elements within the GPO,
instead of looking through the entire document.

The TV Dinner scenario is so-called because the entire dinner comes
all at once but the food is in compartments. The developer is writing
code that addresses elements by their namespace, so they add/put only
the parts of the purchase order that need to change. The other
compartments - for instance, company name and shipping information -
don't change from one GPO request to another. The code for the TV
Dinner uses JAXB created bindings.

Streaming XML Parser (StAX) Scenario (code-name: The Sushi Boats)

In the Sushi Boats scenario a developer builds a portal that receives
a "blog" style news-stream. Within each received request is a set of
elements containing blog entries. The test code scenario parameters
determine the number of blog entries inserted into the request. The
developer needs to skip the entries that the portal is not interested
in and take action on the entries of interest. The test code for the
Sushi Boats will feature the new JSR 173 streaming XML parser
implementation in BEA WebLogic Server.

DOM Scenario (code-name: The Buffet)

In the Buffet scenario a developer writes an order validation service
that receives an order request and needs to read every element of the
document to determine the response. The test code scenario parameters
determine how many elements it inserts into the request. The test
code for The Buffet scenario uses Xerces DOM APIs.

The idea is to implement these in an XQuery and using Java/JDBC/
relational db then to vary the data size and number of concurrent
requests to determine a scalability and performance index.

I'm open to feedback and ideas.

-Frank