[xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Re: [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the design of XQuery 3.1

Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka at gmail.com
Sat May 16 09:59:10 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Jim Melton <jim.melton at oracle.com> wrote:

>  In passing, I would like to observe that the title of the W3C Working
> Group being discussed is "XML Query Working Group" and the charter of that
> WG speaks of developing a query language for XML.  In fact, the language
> developed by the WG is called "XQuery: An XML Query Language".  While the
> WG, and its participants, understand the importance of JSON and have as a
> goal integration of support for querying XML data along with JSON data, the
> name and charter of the WG have not been changed to "JSON Query WG".

Might that be because JSON (for all intents and purposes) did not exist  at
the inception of the WG.

I mean it's not called the SQL Query WG either but the WG did have SQL as a
reference point because relational data formats were around and relevant at
the time.

So ......

That said I do empathise with both sides of this argument.